Sponsors


Shop

Shop from several merchants for outdoor and cycling items. Search for an item and compare prices.

Advertisers

Buying from advertisers on this blog and my web site helps me pay for RAAM.

Search for Cycling and Outdoor Products
UltraRob's Deals

Friday, April 28, 2006

Bailed on Ride to Avon

UltraRob's Adventures has moved. Read this post at http://www.ultrarob.com/blog/2006/04/bailed-on-ride-to-avon.php.

I got up early this morning to get ready to ride to Avon. Taking some back roads it is just over a 190 miles over 4 passes. It was very cloudy but dry. I checked radar and forecasts for points along the way. It actually looked like the worst was going to be on the front range. Radar showed precipitation to the south but nothing to the west. It looked like it could be upslope conditions.

I decided to go ahead and take my chances and rolled out the door just after 5:00. I thought maybe I'd get lucky and climb above the clouds by Woodland Park but instead I was riding in snow. I continued on to Divide about 30 miles and 3,000 feet higher than my house and it was still snowing. The road was warm enough that the snow was melting but the spray was freezing on my bike. Parts of my bike had about 1/4 inch of ice on it. Beyond t ere I'd be in an area where there's hardly anywhere to stop and even cell coverage is spotty because ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home